Monday, January 31, 2011

Firth of Forth Bridge


My character in The Shadow Box is named Brian and he is a dying patient at a hospice care facility. In a scene he speaks of the work he has been writing. Although most of it is said to be quite bad, it is not revealed in the play exactly how bad or possibly good the writing is.

So, it terms of "method acting" I wrote one of the poems he references in the play, which is described as "an epic investigation of the Firth of Forth Bridge."

Here is what I came up with, perhaps there is some redeeming quality in it:

Oh! Where am I going
with these feet that take me?
Across this steel expanse
marveling over the sea
"It is the Firth of Forth"
I hear a voice say.
How did I get here
Why am I this way?
How are you still standing
oh bridge of mine?
How did they fix you
this time?
I want to be fixed, I really do
What is that bright light coming at me, so true?

-B

I know it seems quite "out there" to write a poem about something that is only referenced in the play, but Brian wrote a poem about the Forth Bridge, so I figured I better do the same if I wanted to have any shot at capturing his character. This poem won't be read in the scene, and the paper it is on will only be briefly shown but it is the invisible work you have to do. Acting is an iceberg, only 10% of what you do is shown to the audience, the rest is underneath the surface. And that which is underneath the surface is what sinks all the ships.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Love you poem! I've been on that bridge, during a blizzard no less. I love what you said about acting. My niece is at Tisch Drama at NYU and I'm going to share your blog with her. Keep up the great posts!

E said...

thank you

that's great she's at Tisch

glad you like the posts