Sunday, January 30, 2011

My date with Midnight

21 years.

The last three years I have spent the midnight of my birthday with three different groups of people. Not a single person has overlapped the years. Take that as you want.

Moving on...

I have gained a lot of eye opening perspective in the last couple days leading up to my birthday. This whole "turning 21" thing has changed me and I know it really shouldn't, I really shouldn't feel any different because what's the difference between 7,664 days and 7,665 days? But I have changed, I do feel different.

I'm being more open. That's the difference. I'm saying "yes." That's the difference.

Want to go check out an abandoned insane asylum? Sure.

Want to go on this bike ride to somewhere you've never been and see whatever is around that bend in the road up there? Yep.

Want to go downtown for your birthday and hit up all the bars and get free drinks? I guess so.

Want to watch a sad sad documentary about life and love on your 21st birthday? Why not.


Live life. Live your fucking life. Say what you want to say. Love who you want to love. Do what you want to do. Be who you are. You know who you are. Don't let anyone tell you anything differently. So live. It shouldn't be that hard, yet it somehow always seems to be.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Such a wise post for such a young man. An old soul. Happy Birthday. I hope you have the most wonderful and creative year. Hugs from Florida!

E said...

Those are very kind words, thank you.