Monday, February 23, 2009

can you pronounce the word: o - ver - whelmed?

People always tell me that I need to stop worrying about the future and live in the present. Not to say that "I wish I was already out of college and working in the world." They say never leave school, because it's a crazy world out there. The real world after school is what's out there. But I still think I would rather be out there than were I am. A simple reason is because when you're day job ends you have your time.

YOUR TIME. To do what you want to do. Sure you may have to work extra hours over with little pay to prove yourself but once those hours are over you have YOUR TIME. That's the difference with were I am. I would like nothing more than to have MY TIME to do what I want. To write and live a life of simplicity. On a Thursday night to do nothing more than simply read, write, watch, laugh, and live. But no; instead my Thursday nights are currently spent cramming my brain with information for a test the next day of which I am already pre-destined to fail because I'm up at 2:30 reading over my notes for the first time since I wrote them two weeks ago, and planning on when I can fit in sleep and more studying before the midterm in less than six hours.

See that's the difference between the real world and the college world. Real world = YOUR TIME after you've put your hours in. College world = THEIR TIME even after you have put in the hours of class.

Let's just look at an example shall we of what I realized I had to do today or within the next four days:

Study for Accounting Test Wednesday. Do STATS assignment due Thurs. Study for STATS test on Friday. Find courts times for a Trial Observation Paper I have yet to start. Find classes that are open and you can take and you can enjoy next quarter and register for on Thursday.

And that's just school related. I left out the other things I have to do/want to do, and that list is too long to even get started at talking about.

Oh and within the next week avoid acting like a complete douchebag to the people I care about since I am worrying about the current elephants on my plate.

So yeah, I do wish I was already out of school. You need more reasons than I already have here? Ok.

1) I will actually find time to write instead of studying.

2) I would have time after work to do what I want to do and not study.

3) I will have two day weekends! Oh what a thought! Instead of the current one day weekends of enjoying Saturday and then craming on Sunday.

4) Guess what even if I can't find a job because of the current shitty economy that just means I have more time to write.

5) I can actually start doing what I was born to do, instead of spending four years learning things that are either going to be (a) unnecessary to know for whatever job I get, or (b) will just end up learning again in the first 3 months of my job.

I always come back to this:

"you dropped a hundred and fifty grand on an education you coulda' picked up for a dollar fifty in late charges at the Public Library"

And trust me the only thing that is keeping me from doing that is because it is the year 2009 and you need to pay that a hundred and fifty grand on a piece of paper saying you're worth something, because if you don't have that piece of paper THEY, won't even give you a second glance.

No comments: