Monday, November 23, 2009

Et tu, Shakespeare?

Went to the Julius Caesar auditions tonight. Going there I told myself that there would be about a 10% chance that I would actually audition. Why such a low percentage? One, I would not be able to make the callback tomorrow, that is if I even got a callback, which would have been a very low chance in itself. Two, I would not be able to participate in full rehearsals in the coming months because of scheduling conflicts. Three, it is Shakespeare, and that is intimidating! I told myself I would look at the audition sides and see what I thought about them, then go from there as to whether I would audition or not.

There were about eight different sides to choose from and... I did not understand a single one of them. Damn you Shakespeare! With your awesomely complex beautifully poetic language. I am no match for you, yet that is.

I got some good advice from the sister tonight. It consisted of easing myself into things, and I think that is true for any actor. I cannot expect to do Shakespeare effortlessly with only one short film and a single one act under my belt. Shakespeare is the crème de la crème. If I somehow got a part in this play it would have been a lot of work. I would have had to translate every one of my lines and every one else's lines too, just to understand what was going on.

So to ease myself into Shakespeare for the future I will do the one act festival at the end of the year again, and maybe do two plays this time. I will audition next year for a full length non-Shakespearian play, and get a part. Then, after that, I may be halfway there to attempting Shakespeare.

Damn you Shakespeare!

No comments: