Wednesday, November 11, 2009

gone too long

I'm back.

Things need to change.

I have not been keeping up to date on this blog this year as much as I should have been. Last year, during school, I was posting pretty regularly, but this year, not so much. That needs to change. Not only do these posts help me build myself as a writer, they are also a good way to remember my college days when I go back and read old posts. So from now on, I will dedicate myself to write more posts.

I have not been writing. That needs to change. During the summer the ideas were flowing. I don't know whether it was being in Hanford that was motivating me to write more (because I wanted to find a way to get away from there) or whether it was that I simply had less on my mind and could focus better. Probably a combination of both. Anyways, it needs to change, because what I am doing now is not working. The goal was to finish one script a year, so by the time I graduate that would be three scripts. At this rate however, I will be lucky if I finish one feature length script in three years. That is simply not good enough. So from now on, I will dedicate myself to focus better and write more script based material.

I have not been taking care of myself. To little sleep and not enough exercise. That I have changed recently. I have started going to the gym and doing nightly exercises to get in shape. My roommate has said that everyone he has gone with has stopped going after a while, but that will not be me. I have the motivation, determination, and tenacity and only I will now the true meaning behind. I will not stop until I get where I want to go. As part of the exercise today, we climbed Bishops, the tallest mountain in SLO. I am not the biggest fan of heights, but it had to be done, and I am glad it happened. So from now on, it is exercise everyday to reach my goals.

I have not been building my craft. I am doing the little things to progress as an actor, but there is so much more I can do. I have come up with different exercises and routines that should work, but now I need to move them from the practice fields and give them some big game experience. Pretty soon this blog will take on a new form and become devoted to what I am doing each day to build my craft and progress as an actor. Auditions are coming up for next quarter's play "Julius Caesar." Shakespeare will be tough, and I may not get a part, I may not get a callback, but I will get an audition, and the least I can get from that is rejection. The thing that defines the actor; how much rejection can you take before you give up? The answer? However much rejection it takes until you reach the goals you have set for yourself. When do you know you have reached your goals? Never. You should always be setting newer, bigger, and better goals to achieve, that way there is aways something more to do. So from now on, the craft is going pro.

I have not been keeping to touch with the people that are important to my life and make me who I am. That needs to change, big time. They are the motivation behind everything I do. The last couple days I have been trying to reach out more to the people from my past and see how things are going, but I need to raise the effort and go further. Not just for the people I already know either. I need to meet more people and get to know them. Know their personalities, learn their stories. The more the better, it will only help me in one way or another. Either I will meet a good character and get a good story, or I will get rejected, which could prove to be even more beneficial. So from now on, "Hello, my name's Eric. How are you today? Be honest."

I said change my life this Wednesday, and hopefully this is the start of it.

I'm coming back, and not with a whimper, but with a bang.

No comments: