Saturday, February 20, 2010

forum of focus

These last few days I feel like I am getting a lot of signs thrown in my face that what I want to do is the right choice for me. Just take a quick look at the last five posts or so and see everything. Just in the last three: I had the talk with my professor, I have started writing again, and I got recognized for last year's performance that I thought nobody remembered. Hell, nobody I knew even showed up to watch it for support (you can feel sorry for me later). I feel like this last week has been a series of reaffirming events that this truly is the right thing for me, and what happened today can be added to the list.

I went to a Finance Forum today here on campus thinking it was simply going to be a bunch of people talking about what they do everyday at their jobs, but it wasn't that. Far from it. There was almost little to do with finance, which was great for me because I have no interest in the field. What I took away from it is was just how hard all the people that were up there worked to get to where they are today.

They did not take the easy route. The choose to do things the hard way and learn the most they could every chance they had. They prepared themselves for the opportunities that came their way and luck followed. These people are not the norm. I know that, but these are the people that have chosen to want to do more with their lives. They are not going to stop once they reach that safe spot in the corner office. They won't stop until they have the office upstairs that takes up it's own floor. (That's just a metaphor for wanting something more. I would never solely work just for a bigger office, at least I would hope). One guy said to find something you love to do, AND that you are good at doing and you will be happy. That same guy said that the most he has every worked in a week is 143 hours, and on average works 115-125 hours a week. Nobody could do that if they did not like what they were doing.

Others that were there listening were blown away by this number, but I wasn't. Surprised? Sure, that's a helluva a lot of time. However, he found something he loved to do and is good at it and I don't think that he really considers it work. That's just what he does. Would I work 143 hours in a week to become a great actor? You're damn right I would, because when you do something you love it shouldn't feel like work. If it does feel like work then you don't love it. Sure sometimes things take "hard work" to accomplish them but if you truly love what you are doing then you are going to be intrinsically motivated to work hard to do the best you can. I don't know if any of this is making sense right now, it's pretty late and this could just be a little bit of a rant, but what I am trying to say is, I get what these people today were talking about and I get why they work the way they do.

They want to be the best and so do I. Maybe that is why I wasn't blown away by the 143 hour stat.

I get it.

They will do what it takes to succeed, and if that's 143 hours then I am ready to do more for what I want.

No comments: