Friday, February 5, 2010

process

my mind goes racin'
my feet on the ground, they're pacin'
my heart beat, is escalatin'

cause I don't know what to do right here, right now
I'm behind the curtain and i forgot my lines, wow
it's like a nightmare that will not quit
it's like a tobacco dip that you cannot spit
the music cues up, and the lights come on
I wait for a moment, think "this shit's so gone"
I walk out into the bright light; reformed, refreshed
reborn a new life, like all the rest

my mind goes quiet
my feet firm on the ground like Wyatt
my heart beat, it's greater than the Watts riot
I stare the audience in the face, and I look in deep
scanning the crowd for a single peep
but no one is here, I gotta do this all alone
I'm out there a young baby, fulling grown
I open my mouth, but the character is silent
he don't want to come out, he ain't no client
SPEAK before they boo your ass back home
you cant go back there, cause you'll just roam
roam, for the job you'll never find
roam, for the ones that left you behind
roam, for the purpose that will remain confined
you'll be living the life of a parole on house arrest
but you'll really just be like all the rest
you walked into your own cell and threw away the key
you'll be so blind that you will not see
the life you coulda had if you where only free
free, from the heartbreak and despair
free, wide out there in the open air
free, so righteously I do declare
all you gotta do is let the character out
just go ahead and let him shout
and do not ever think to doubt
the methods of your talent when they hit the spout
the purpose has found me that I gave up searching for
it went KNOCK! KNOCK! knocking right on my door

I'm back out there in the bright white light
and before it gave me a serious fright
but not anymore, that nonsense was so contrite
cause from now on this is the fight I write
as I stand there the synapses begin to fire
the dreams that I aspire get higher and higher
my feet move with purpose as they balance the high wire
my heart beats bigger than Jerry Maguire
when he said "you complete me"
cause that's what you do
just give it a look see
cause it's far between and few

No comments: