Monday, June 21, 2010

RISK

Let's play pretend and say that I never knew where I'd been
Let’s pretend that I stayed home and watched the whole world spin
Pretend I procrastinated and never followed my dreams
That I just sat there and let the real world be what it seems
Pretend I never found the font courier new
That my words and stories could never get to you
That I never took a chance and put the fingers to the keyboard
That I never was a kid watching The Adventures of Harrison Ford
That my main man Will Hunting never followed his dream
And that I never realized that was my number one theme

In life, to do what you were put here for
It's that purpose that's knocking right at your door
Those who never took a risk will never know what they missed
If you can’t open the door you gotta knock it back with your fist

It’s that imagination that inspired creation upon the realization you got at the train station laying the foundation while you looked at your location and future destination of your soon to be vocation; and no frustration, deflation, stagflation, stagnation, taxation, or even starvation would deprive you, of your flirtation and formation of your goal in life, creating the narration with proper quotation of a purpose with a long duration

But hold on wait a minute, I've gone off track
Let's take a reverse step and push playback

So let’s pretend that I never really looked within
Never really saw where everything did begin
That I never really found out this tested quest
That I wasted each and every day because I was just so stressed
Asking the questions to see if anything was truly blessed
That I never figured out what I possessed
To help me fulfill this lifelong quest

Let’s pretend that I didn’t write monologues in all of my classes
That I took proper notes and got all passes
Pretend I didn’t change my name because no one could say it
It wasn’t now Cotti; a name that just a bit did quite fit
Pretend that I never took that tipping walk to hear Cromwell talk
That I slept in during dead week avoiding the blaring alarm clock
And you never auditioned for those one act plays
Everyone thinking it was just a waist of your days
“You should be studying business to land that corner office”
But that dream just wouldn't suffice
It would be like dry brown rice
That I ate in college cause protein powder was just too high in price
But I had to get the bulk of the method actor
For the character of the spec script that wouldn't be a factor
For many long years until the script was trite and true
Until it would be the thing that I knew I would always do

So let’s go back to the start, and pretend I didn't come from the valley
A place where if it were a baby, it would have been dumped in an alley
A place defined by its teen pregnancy and meth rate per capita
Where if I never got outta I woulda been a has been coulda been shoulda
But I did, and now I'm doing my own thing
With its very own zip, zealer, and zing

But I never could've done any of this
If it wasn't for, that very first risk

1 comment:

Bradley Ryan said...

That was really incredible dude. Loved it. We need to freaking talk about writing. I didn't know you were into that, and well, that's GREAT