Wednesday, April 29, 2009

film school or theatre program?

I spent the majority of my night searching for popular and high ranking film schools and theatre programs offered in California, and not reading my assigned play and practicing business calc (but the night is still young). ANYWAYS... the results included: UCLA, CalArts, UC Irvine, UCSD, Fullerton, Long Beach, blah blah blah.

I came to the conclusion that ALL are very selective and very EXPENSIVE.

What I want is first hand experience in the field of acting. Here I am at Cal Poly and they do have a theatre program. I don't know how well know it is, but they do HAVE one.

So here's what I'm thinking (in case you cared). If I graduate with a business degree with a concentration in marketing that's a pretty safe bet of getting a job. AND while I'm here if I minor in theatre and psych I will be extremely well rounded. PLUS while I'm here I have now set goals of making the Smile and Nod team and getting roles to act in multiple univerity plays. ALL THE WHILE teaching myself everything I can about acting and writing. THEN if I still want to learn even more I'll pursue a MFA in acting at one of the more prestigious (*cough* EXPENSIVE) schools.

And that's that. I could quote the wise and all knowing Matt Damon and Ben Affleck with one of my favorite quotes that Mr. Will Hunting said in a certain Harvard Bar, but I'll save you the burden of having to hear it again. Instead I'll leave you with this tidbit of information.

Did you know that Edward Norton graduated from Yale with a B.A. in History while acting in multiple productions at the university?

No comments: