Monday, June 1, 2009

living a slo life in the fast lane

Int. San Luis Obispo, Oddfellows Hall -- Day

JAMES CROMWELL stands in front of an audience in the hall's main room, talking about acting.

Cromwell

It's like being born again, when you step onto that stage. When you're standing behind the curtain, hidden from the audience and the light of the stage is two feet in front of you; it's as if you haven't been born yet. But once you step out from behind that curtain and into the light you are born again. Renewed, reinvigorated, a new person coming from the darkness and blinded by the light. Having to relearn how to walk, talk, sit, stand, breathe even. Everything is a new experience.

I now understand what Mr. Cromwell was talking about from that day I first heard him speak these words. Last night we had tech rehearsal for Can Can and Cromwell's words was what I was thinking about just before I stepped from behind that curtain and walked to my mark as the bright lights cued up.

Last night's rehearsal was the best one for me yet. We had a short run through a few hours before and it was off book and I was absolutely horrible. Forgetting the cues, the correct line sequences and it was just awful. So what did I do for the two hours between first rehearsal ended and tech rehearsal began? I practiced. Which allowed be to give my best for the tech rehearsal. Now I just have to do what I did for that three more times: the dress rehearsal/preview show, and the two performances on the weekend.

This is going to be a busy week. By the end of the weekend I will have preformed the show at least three more times, have studied everyday for calculus and finished my final, read a play, made an art exhibit for my theatre class, finished two econ assignments and studied for my econ final in hopes of being ready for the final on Monday morning.

And then final's week starts.


2 comments:

Deanna said...

I hope you do well and have fun!
Stumbled across your blog... reads well. Its dope :)

Peace,

Deanna x

E said...

hey thanks for the support, I hope I do well too.

E