Sunday, November 9, 2008

Math Memento

There is a real problem in my life. For the people that have seen the movie Memento, the main character played by Guy Pearce cannot create new memories following a traumatic event and severe head trauma. He cannot transfer memories from the short term memory to long term memory. So to solve his problem he tattoos notes onto himself and leaves notes around so he knows what to do.

I have a similar problem.

It seems as if I am unable to transfer anything I learn in my STATS class from my short term memory to my long term memory. I'll understand it in class and at the office hours but, within five minutes after I leave it just disappears like some sort of magic trick. Ever since my traumatic event I have not been able to properly learn any math, and that traumatic even was my senior year of AP Calculus. One word can sum up the entire class: Horrible. Maybe my severe head trauma occured when I was banging my head against the table while taking the AP Calc test at the end of last year? The problems may as well have been in another language (I may have even done better on the test if it was in another language, it sure couldn't have hurt).

The bad thing is that if I use the strategy in Memento (that is tattooing myself with STAT formulas and answers, then look at those while taking the test that may be considered cheating, and I'll just end up failing the class anyways. Not to mention that I would have STAT problems on my body for the rest of my life). So I guess I will just do whatever the character in Memento did at the end of the movie.

Now how did that movie end again?

2 comments:

Kara said...

haha. loved this.

do what i do--take notes on EVERY. SINGLE. THING. they say in office hours. even if it makes you feel stupid. i couldn't remember anything they said either. you'll be fine bro.

E said...

thanks sis, you're the best. I have been taking a lot of notes which is good. The big test is now only a few hours away, and time to study just a little bit more.