Friday, November 7, 2008

Reading

"Read a lot. Read everything. Read Playboy and Harper's and Reader's Digest. Read Wired and Fast Company and Fortune. Read the Bible. The person who doesn't read has no advantage over the person who doesn't know how. Read the papers. Read history. Read poetry. Read fiction. Replenish yourself. I never knew a wise man or woman who wasn't a big reader"
Steve Frankfurt

What the future holds for me today is reading, reading, and more reading...

To the people that know me this sounds pretty ironic because I have been know to say everytime I pick up a book, "I hate reading!" But that really is not true...not the whole truth. I hate reading things that I am forced to read. When somebody says, "READ THIS!" I don't think anyone will want to read it, especially me. The way to get me to read something and anyone for that matter all that needs to be said is, "I think you should read this. You may find it interesting." First, by saying this to the reader it is as if you are giving them the option of reading it or not, without making it sound like you are forcing upon them. Secondly, by saying that it may be interesting that peaks the attention of the reader and makes them think "How does this guy know what I find interesting? He doesn't know me. I'm going to prove him wrong and read this then when I'm done tell him how uninteresting it was." But by that time it will not matter because the reader will have already read what the person wanted the reader to read in the first place. Mission Accomplished!

The point of this is READ! anything and everything that you may find of interest because a simple article that takes ten minutes to finish may change your life in a dramatic way.

So after a long day of listening...Listening to my alarm ring ten different times because I pressed the snooze ten different times before I finally got up and went to class. Listening to my professers speak about who only knows what. Listening to the CFO of APPLE Peter Oppenhiemer speak to my class about what APPLE is all about. Listening to my STATS professor explaining to this stuggling student (me) the basic fundamentals of statistics. Listening to my parents as I talk to them on the phone. Listening soon to one of the four washers in the laundry room that will hold my clothes.

I will be reading...Reading the Wall St. Journal I picked up free from my college. Reading FORBES about the entertainment all stars that make all the money. Reading my books on working in Hollywood for the speech I have yet to write. Reading my stats book that I am now two (no longer three) sections behind in. Then finally reading my alarm clock and seeing the numbers count on as I go to sleep at another ridiculous hour.

what the future holds after that is...SLEEP!

No comments: