Tuesday, May 26, 2009

a day makes all the difference

Yesterday I got my stage directions that I have to incorporate into my performance. Let's just say I was a little overwhelmed. 41 lines of dialogue, 25 different stage directions, in the dark, talking to an invisible interviewer, seventeen minutes long, with no cuts, performed in front of a live audience.

Rehearsal yesterday was by far my worst one yet. Trying to incorporate all the new stage directions into the lines of dialogue resulted in a robotic performance. I felt like the lowest rung in the muck and mire of mediocrity. If you could mix horse shit, dog shit, pig shit, cat piss, a frat guy's puke, and the piece of gum on the bottom of my shoe together... you would only have a slight glimpse of my rehearsal yesterday. I was so down after that I started to question everything. Whether or not I want to really act. Or only be a writer. Or do neither and go back to the thought of agent or manager.

So what did I do? I practiced.

And today was another rehearsal. The stage directions were seamless. The lines flowed in the EX GI's voice. When I was saying them, it was as if I was no longer myself and had finally switched over, from me to the character.

Within a day I went from almost quitting acting, (having this one act being my first and only performance), to feeling the best I have ever felt about it.

What a crazy mind I live in.

No comments: