Friday, May 8, 2009

method?

This will now become my actor's journal up until my first performance in early June.

I will do at least one thing a day that I feel will strengthen my relationship with the character I am playing. I will then write on here the what I did that day to help build my character. Whether it be creating back story, emotional depth, mannerisms, style of walk, style of talk, facial expressions, voice control and accent, hair style, body language; characteristics different from my own. The goal is to create a distinct character away from myself because I feel the hardest thing to play is a character most like yourself. This is because, I feel, extremely critical of myself when I see "me" on camera. When I played Captain Beatty and watch it back now I do not see me. I see the character because I created a different style of walk, changed my voice, looked at the world from a different perspective (the jet black sunglasses) and created an entirely separate and distinctive character away from myself.

My character falls deeply in love with a young French woman in World War II Europe and is then forced to leave her. So to strengthen my inner character, as of right now, I have made myself listen to James Blunt's Goodbye My Lover twenty times... IN A ROW.

Maybe I'm taking this whole "method acting" thing too far, but I don't think so. At least not yet anyways...

It'll be too far when I reach the point where I come up with the idea to make a time machine and travel back to WWII Europe to fall in love with a French woman just so I can then purposely leave her.

Wait a minute! That doesn't sound like a half bad idea!

No comments: